As you know, we source suppliers/ manufacturer/ inventors very carefully ensuring we get the best products so you get the best products.
We source the products and innovations as locally as possible so that we can:
- Find the best innovations;
- Get to know the people and the products;
- Ensure manufacturers expertise are on hand;
- Minimise the carbon footprints of our products;
- Support the local economy;
- Have somewhere to go for a cup of tea.
We thought you might like to get to know the suppliers a little better so we decided to interview them. Just for a bit of fun.
And the Five Big Questions were:
- What is the BIG idea behind your business?
- List three key ways in which your product helps save energy and money;
- Apart from your product can you recommend one simple tip for saving energy and money at home or office?
- ‘Fess-up’ to your one naughty ‘non-eco’ habit you’ve been meaning to change - but haven’t yet…
- Can you give one example you’ve experienced recently of ‘eco best practice’ (office or home environment)
Second up is Simon, inventor of Chimella
Question 1: What is the BIG idea behind your business?
The Big idea behind my business is to offer a quality product which is a simple and easy solution to possibly one of the biggest heat losses in our homes…your chimney.
People in general have pretty hectic lives so chimella was created to be quick and easy to install with the minimum amount of thought and effort.By blocking your chimney off in only a second the chimella will help people cut down their heating bills and stop wasting energy.
The bigger idea for Chimella is to fund the ‘Energy for Youth’ scheme across the UK.
The scheme is being created by Chimella and will be run to encourage young people to have confidence and self-belief that anything is possible and to never give up on anything in Life. The philosophies of the scheme are to develop young peoples skills in team building; general life skills; and, to educate them in environmental awareness and their responsibilities in creating a sustainable environment. The youth of today are our future of tomorrow and by creating a drive for success and an importance of protecting our environment we aim to inspire future generations to make the world a better and more sustainable place.
- Inserting a chimella into your chimney stops the draw of the chimney from sucking out all the heat from the rest of the house;
- As cold air is heavier than warm air your Chimney Umbrella will prevent cold air from coming down the chimney and into the house;
- A securely fitted Chimella reduces heat loss in the house so you can effectively turn down your heating thermostat and save on wasted heat and energy loss being drawn out through your chimney.
Answer: Unplug all your phone chargers when you have charged your phone. Most people just leave them in the wall and unplug the phone but the charger keeps draining energy from the socket. It’s just a habit that you need to get into but this quick and simple practice will save hugely on energy loss.
Answer: I have a habit of taking off my socks and strategically and discreetly laying them on my children’s shoulders. Much to my own amusement as to there reaction when when they freak out at discovering the have a dark shape lurching out of the corner of their eye! Terribly childish but highly amusing!
Answer: I think ‘best eco practice’ has got to be when Dee and Dwight came to collect their recent order of Chimney Umbrellas on their bikes. Truly admirable and definitely a lesson in practicing what you preach.
Read the first interview with Richard from Eco Toilets