The quality of the water you drink each day makes a vital contribution to your health, fitness and life expectancy.
Each day, water treatment plants remove up to 800 different residual chemicals- from oestrogen to rust. Is it any wonder they can’t keep up with ever-increasing pollutants?
But wait! Don’t let that stop you drinking water
The importance of good hydration on our overall health is undisputed. Studies vary but depending on physical and lifestyle factors, we need about 2 litres of water, in some form, per day to stay hydrated. Some of this will come from food and other drinks but as between 50-75% of a person’s body is made of water it’s important to drink plain water.
Your mental and physical performance will become impaired at only 1% dehydration. To put this into perspective, if you’re feeling thirsty you’ve already lost about 2-3% of your body’s water.
Here are just some of the key reasons to stay hydrated:
- Body basics: water regulates body temperature, delivers oxygen, lubricates joints, forms saliva, helps cell growth, keeps you regular and more… Safe to say it’s vital...
- All in the mind: about 75% water, your brain’s abilities and even short-term memory is affected dehydration. Reduces headaches: dizziness and headaches are often brought about by fatigue, a sign of dehydration- so try having some water first;
- Healthy heart: aside from about 73% of your heart being made of water, if you’re not drinking enough then your blood is thicker. This increases how hard your heart needs to work;
- Keep moving: your body doesn’t work as well if it’s not got enough water. And don’t forget that any fluids you lose through exercise need to be replaced;
- Fighting infection: Hydrated bodies are less prone to catching bugs. Water also flushes toxins out of your system and is particularly good for at preventing urine infections and kidney stones. Drinking water also clears the airwaves for allergies and colds;
- Body beautiful: Keeps hair healthy looking; hydrates and plumps skin as it flushes out toxins, clearing your skin of dirt and bacteria;
Right, so why does the water need to be filtered?
We ingest water directly, through drinking plain water, tea, squash etc.. and indirectly through cooking and washing fruit and vegetables. The quality of your shouldn’t vary with any of these activities. Pure water is “free from tainting or polluting matter”, it shouldn’t be unduly tampered with: neither taking out good minerals or nutrients nor adding things in.
TAKING THE BAD STUFF OUT:
Simply put, we need all the bad stuff taken out and all the good stuff kept in- naturally. And that’s how our 2000 Water Filtration System works: effectively eliminating dirt, sediment, diseases, parasites, bacteria and chemicals.
Here’s a snapshot of just some of the key contaminants removed (see here for full details on all the contaminants removed):
- Bacteria (99.99% removed): bad bacteria can make you ill to varying degrees, especially if left to multiply and when they produce toxins. They also leave bad odours and taste;
- Particles (e.g. rust, sediment: 99.99% removed): tap water in particular picks up sediments from your pipes and taps: it’s important to stop these nasties from entering your system. The 2000 will filter right at the last moment so the water you’re drinking is as fresh as can be;
- Chlorine (100% removed): used to treat water your water. Some of the most serious side-effects of chlorine treatment come from the contact between chlorine and organic matter in water forming Trihalomethanes e.g. chloroform. THMs increase the production of free radicals in the body and are highly carcinogenic. They have been linked to various types of cancer, kidney and liver damage, immune system dysfunction, disorders of the nervous system and birth defects;
- Heavy metals (including lead, aluminum, mercury: 92-99% removed): entering the water though industrialisation, urban run-off and even household activities such as painting, heavy metals can be toxic and lead to autoimmunity. Potentially leading to diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis; liver and kidney damage; blood, circulatory system, and nervous system disorders. 17 of the 50 ‘heavy metals’ are considered highly toxic and relatively accessible;
- Aesthetics: filtering will also remove bad odours and tastes
- And more: for example, pesticides, herbicides, phenols, solvents, xenoestrogen, hydrocarbons, fluoranthene, fluoride, nitrates. We are also able to target specific contaminants such as arsenic;
KEEP THE GOOD STUFF IN:
On top of the contaminants, a complex mix of naturally occurring elements is present in our water, vital to our good health. Healthy water is a great source of minerals and nutrients especially as they are more bioavailable than in solid forms. Hundreds of peer-reviewed studies confirm the importance of retaining these naturally-occurring minerals and nutrients.
Here is a quick snapshot into some of the nutrients retained:
- Calcium (2% of total body weight): essential throughout our lives to help our bones grow and develop in youth then to maintain strength as we age. Calcium also helps blood clotting, nerve transmission, muscle contractions whilst helping to preventing colon cancer and obesity. Traces of calcium are also present in the circulatory system, preventing life-threatening haemorrhages. Ensuring healthy body pH it also transports other nutrients across cell membranes;
- Magnesium (needed for 300 biochemical reactions in the body): regulates blood pressure, detoxification, energy production and immune system. Magnesium protects the heart from irregular heartbeats and shields your heart from damage, particularly muscle stress. It mediates digestive processes preventing problems like vomiting, cramps, indigestion and constipation. It has also be found to alleviate psychiatric disorders – such as panic attacks, stress, anxiety. It helps absorption of other minerals, formation of collagen and boosts the bioavailability of B6;
- Sodium (a key electrolyte): needed for for blood and fluid regulation preventing diarrhea, vomiting, headache, low blood pressure, lethargy, muscular irritability and dizziness. Sodium improves heart performance and nervous system. Regulating glucose absorption, it helps to facilitate the absorption of glucose by cells. Sodium also eliminates excess carbon dioxide from the body;
- Potassium (third most abundant mineral in the body): required for keeping the heart, brain, kidney, muscle tissue and other important organ systems of the human body in good condition. It can provide relief from strokes, blood pressure, heart and kidney disorders and anxiety. As well as enhancing muscle strength through proper growth of muscle tissues and utilisation of energy, it maintains metabolism, water balance, electrolytic functions, and nervous system. It facilitates brain function by allowing more oxygen to reach the brain.
Read more about the importance of minerals in drinking water
Get off the bottle
So it’s clear that unfiltered tap water is not going to maintain our ideal levels of health. You might think that drinking bottled water is the solution, but in reality:
- European standards for factory-bottled water are actually lower than for ordinary tap water: meaning they could still contain harmful contaminants;
- Up to 80% of bottled waters on the market are in fact processed waters which may be demineralised or have contaminants left in, upsetting the body’s natural balance;
- Plastic bottles aren’t good for anyone: bottles are a source of plastic contamination: for example, BPAs found in bottles could potentially leach over time. If stored in sunlight for prolonged periods, bacterial and algal growth may be a problem. Of course, there is also the waste and environmental impacts of these bottles;
- Wasted time, money and energy: Bottled water brings with it the hassle and inconvenience of buying, moving and storing. Like-for-like, it’s actually more expensive than using filtered water.
Why might you want whole house filtration?
Other than drinking, the primary ways our bodies absorb compounds in water is via inhalation and skin absorption. Thus, through showering and bathing you may also absorb the toxins found in your drinking water;
- Inhalation: taking the example of chlorine- according to the Journal of Public Health, “Up to two-thirds of the harmful effects of chlorine are due to inhalation and skin absorption while showering…[breathing] chemical vapours into our lungs means that these chemicals enter directly into our bloodstream”;
- Transdermal Absorption: Since the shower is warm or hot, our pores are wide open and our skin readily absorbs the chemicals and other nasties;
- Aesthetics: physical side-effects include striping protective oils from the skin and hair, drying and wrinkling of skin, dull and irritated skin.
So let's sum things up
In reality, very little of the water we drink and bathe in meets the standard of purity we expect or deserve. Unfortunately, it can often be difficult to tell whether we are drinking pure, health-giving, fresh water, or slowly poisoning ourselves with traces of antibiotics, pesticides, effluent, chlorine and the rest.
And that’s why water filters are needed and why we created the 2000 Filtration System, which filters water on demand so that it is always available, fresh, when you need it.
We’ve picked three key reasons you should filter your water:
- Health- it’s just as important to retain natural minerals and nutrients as it is to take out bacteria, chemicals and impurities. Our filtering is a natural process and doesn’t add anything to the water, tampering with it as little as possible;
- Durability and reliability: you’ve got filtered water constantly on tap which you can use for all your drinking and cooking purposes. The 2000 has stainless steel housings: it’s built to last from the the most chemically neutral material possible;
- Convenience- you don’t have to think about what might be in your water. It also saves the hassle of moving and buying and storing bottled water and lugging it backwards and forwards. Furthermore, our filter’s has a high capacity means it lasts and year and come with a free reminder service. It’s the most cost-effective solution.
Filtering right at point of use, means that all the contaminants the filter removes cannot re-enter, just leaving all the vital minerals and nutrients. Take full control of the water that you and your family drinks.
For more information visit our Water Inspiration and Advice Page
Or jump straight to having a browse through our:
Drinking water filters,
Recommended 2000 filtration system
Our whole house filtration